Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Realized that I didn't explain what it was about MY BIG FAT OBNOXIOUS FIANCE that I liked so much. Frankly, the gal, Randi reminds me of several people I've known in my life, none of which I particularly cared for. I know that she's a teacher, but nothing she said seemed to indicate why she went into that profession or how she feels about it. I know at least one person who teaches because she doesn't have to work weekends, nights (except for occasional parent/teacher conferences) and gets the summer off. I went to library school with two or three folks who became school librarians for the same reason. None of them really liked kids all that much!

You also have to wonder about somebody who thinks pulling a stunt like this on their entire family, even for $250, 000 is fair or excusable. How would/will the family react when the scam is revealed? It's not some simple April Fool gag after all,when you realize people will probably fly in or travel distances, buy gifts, etc. She also demonstrated how shallow she was in the first five minutes of the show when she has to choose three possible fiances from among ten guys. Naturally, she weeds out any Hispanic or Black prospects, going for the most handsome white guys she could, showing who/what she felt her family would automatically accept as 'believable' mates. Of course, her reaction when she first meets Steve (I got a great charge of that, as you can imagine!) was priceless. She is so obviously repulsed by him, even before he starts 'acting' the obnoxious role makes things even easier for him, since just being around somebody who looks like your average comics geek makes her uncomfortable.

Yeah, not the most brilliant thing ever devised, but you know that things will get even better in the shows to come. Also, what type of person would describe her parents as 'scary'? You know America is cheering for this gal to get her comeuppance.

********************
On a political note, I was mildly surprised to hear that Kerry came out ahead of Dean in Iowa, but not as shocked as most news folks seem to have been. I could vote for Dean, Kerry, Edwards or even Clark, with no problem. It will be interesting to see if our junior Senator, Joe Lieberman remains in the race long enough for the Connecticut primary in March. As I've said before in this blog, I've no problem with Lieberman as a Senator and would gladly vote for him again, I just don't think that he would make a good President.

No comments: