Friday, January 23, 2004

I never met the man nor, sadly did I ever write him to tell him how much he had influenced me as a child. Bob Keeshan, who was known to generations as Captain Kangaroo has passed away. I just heard the news on the radio and will probably take a few minutes to do some 'net scanning to see what information I can discover. You can read something of his life over at here. Plus, the fact that he was the original Clarabell the Clown on HOWDY DOODY can be found at this site.

I think you have to have been born at a certain point in the 1950s - 1960s to have a real appreciation for what Keeshan represented to so millions of kids. He was someone who you could look up to, yet wasn't above being the target of practical jokes by an odd assortment of characters who called the "Treasure House" home. Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose, Grandfather Clock, Dancing Bear and, of course, Mister Greenjeans (played by Hugh Brannum, who passed away in '87).

Goodnight, Captain!

No comments: