Friday, January 09, 2004

Over in this week's New Haven Advocate there's a pretty funny article by Daniel Oppenheimer on attending a Lord of the Rings marathon . Having survived a similar thing years ago, when ex Elayne and I went to a showing of the original STAR WARS trilogy, I can certainly sympathize with all that the writer encountered.

Personally, I re-watched the final hour or so of TWO TOWERS on DVD in the morning, before driving to catch THR RETURN OF THE KING at an 11:30am matinee. Once all three films are released on DVD I'll probably kick Donna out of the house and submit myself to an entire day of Tolkien watching.

I'm not going to post an entire review of RotK, but I did love the film and think that Peter Jackson & Company have created one of the most remarkable cinematic ventures ever. These films are going to be around for a very long time and will probably become mandatory viewing in film classes in the near future, if they are not already. I keep my fingers crossed that the legal problems that seem to have cropped up are fixed and Jackson is allowed to begin working on THE HOBBIT in the new few years. Maybe then I won't hear this little voice singing "The greatest adventure ....." in my head!

Damn you, Rankin & Bass! Damn you to Hell!!

No comments: