Friday, January 09, 2004

Not much to report on here, but had a few thoughts that I wanted to put out there.

Here in Connecticut, the big story is Governor John Rowland being investigated for taking 'gifts' from companies and individuals who do work for the state. Apparently, the Gov had his cottage fixed up and, after initially saying that he paid for it himself, had to admit that others actually picked up the tab. This isn't the first time in since he took office that Rowland has had questions come up and several of his former aids and friends have actually been indicted. Now even members of his own Republican Party are publicly saying that he might consider stepping down (which he has said he will not do) and the Democratic members of the legislature are considering beginning impeachment hearings.

Yeah, I know it's all politics, but it will be interesting for the next few months.

With the national deficit increasing and threatening to do so for the next decade, Bush decides that he wants to appeal to the Trekie vote and send astronauts to Mars. Hell, we only landed one robot there successfully since 1997! Also, even John Glenn thinks we should concentrate on completing the International Space Station, before doing anything else, so I can't understand where this suddenly comes from (except that his father initially wanted to do something similar and then we discovered that we had better things to do with our money). If you had asked me even five years ago, I probably would have been in favor of such an endeavor, but now I simply think that there are more important things to do (jobs, healthcare and education, to name a few) that would be better served by an infusion of cash.

My father disliked Pete Rose and thought he was a jerk. Discovering that he was betting on baseball certainly didn't do anything to improve my Dad's opinion of "Charlie Hussle" (a nickname he hated almost as much as he did Rose). If he was alive today I'm sure he'd be enjoying seeing Rose taken to task for finally admitting what we've all known. While the Red Sox still haven't won the World Series, the old man would at least be happy over this turn of events. :-)

While I don't get a chance to watch it as much as I used to (I'm lucky if I can stay awake until 11:00pm most nights) when I do have a chance Comedy Central's THE DAILY SHOW continues to be one of the highlights in satire and political humor. Also, been catching David Letterman recently and think that he is back in the swing of things. Last night's introduction of a new bit "Unfairly Edited" was fantastic, and easily as good as some of the stuff that Jon Stewart & Co. put together.

Frankly, I can't bring myself to watch Leno anymore, even though Donna and I used to enjoy his show. Everytime we happen to catch it while channel surfing he is doing either some form of "Jay-Walking" or his "Jeopardy" take-off which he stole from SNL to begin with.

No comments: