Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Years ago, when Elayne and I were married we would try and review just about every new prime time show the networks put on each season. Of course, not having cable back then it was far easier and generally speaking it was either one of the three major networks or syndication. I'm not going to try and do anything remotely like that this year, but do want to share a few comments on any new or returning shows that Donna and I happen to catch.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed TWO AND A HALF MEN, which debuted last night on CBS. I thought that Charlie Sheen was out of his depth doing situation comedy, but thinking back it was probably because he had the impossible task of 'replacing' Michael J. Fox on SPIN CITY. This time around he is starting from scratch and his laid-back style if perfect in the lead of this harmless comedy. Sheen, is able to use his bad-boy background to good effect in his role of Charlie Harper, a commercial jingle writer. Standout is Angus T. Jones as Sheen's nephew Jake, a wise-cracking (but not overly so) kid who finds himself trapped between his disfunctional parents and now living in Charlie's home. It was also a nice surprise to find Holland Taylor as Charlie & brother Alan's (played by Jon Cryer)
very controlling mother. Taylor is a delight in just about every role I've seen her in, rather theatrical or on the small screen. Not an outstanding show, but certainly head & shoulders over many of the other shows I've read of and miles beyond CBS' returning yawner, YES, DEAR. (Anybody actually enjoy this show? It really does strike me as a program that lucked out by getting scheduled on Monday night when CBS is strong. I loved it when one of the comedians on the Emmy's made the joke that CBS might not know that YES, DEAR was even still on the air. :-)

It was also great to see the season premieres of two Chez Chaput favorites, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND and CSI: MIAMI.

I'll have more to add as the days (and new shows) go by.

No comments: