Monday, September 22, 2003

I've tried to make NEW YORK IS BOOK COUNTRY an annual trek and since I began going back in the early 1980s I believe I've only missed a half dozen. (One wasn't my fault, since the organizers actually cancelled the event due to predictionf of heavy downpours. Naturally, the weathermen were way off and they day turned out to be nice.) Each year the NYIBC folks get Fifth Ave. blocked off for about ten blocks or more, allowing publishers, book stores and assorted vendors of new & used books to set up shop in the street.

It's always wise to get there early (it usually kicks off at around 11:00am), since by around 1:30-2:00pm the street is almost impassable. Even on slow years you can usually pick up some nice freebies. This year both DC and Marvel had booths with creators in attendance to sign their books. Generally, they were just getting freebies shoved into heir hands by kids (and parents) who had no clue who they were, but it was a nice PR move so everybody came up winners.

Anyway, Sunday began a bit overcast, but turned quite sunny and warm as the day progressed. Elayne Riggs (link over on the left) and I had made plans to hook up, since both of us enjoy the event and we haven't actually seen each other in several years. It was nice to get together, have a nice lunch and generally catch up on how things have gone in our respective lives.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to make the Ninth Ave. International Food Fest next year, since that was the other annual event where the two of spent some wonderful times together.

No comments: