Friday, April 13, 2007

I wanted to get in a few comments about the past week while I have some free time.

The hardest thing about the new job here at the library (at least until we actually open to the public) is getting back in the habit of working a full day. Doing the Extra-help/On-Call thing at the other libraries was hit or miss generally I’d go in two-three days a week (or on the weekend) and do three to four hours. It’s hard to believe that it has been over six months since I was doing the five-days a week routine.

Another surprise is how easy I’m finding the commute each day. Driving on the 5 Freeway for half an hour is a lot more enjoyable than those 90 minutes or more subway rides back in New York. I listen to Stephanie Miller on KTLK in the AM and switch between one of the all-news stations or “All Things Considered” on the way home.

Oooh! Missing e-mails! How in the world did that happen? Guess the IT folks at the RNC had the day off and nobody thought to contact the Geek Squad to help out.

I can’t say I can work up a lot of sympathy for Don Imus, who I’ve never been a fan of as I’ve said before. Still is it really going to make racism disappear with him gone from drive time? Plus, (and I know I’m going to catch flack for this) how long is it going to be before we see a comedian on Comedy Central making the same comment (while discussing the I-man) and getting huge howls from the audience?

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Kurt Vonnegut this past week. I was introduced to his writing by my friend Gerry, back when we were in junior high school. I loved SIRENS OF TITAN and began reading each of his books as they appeared as quickly as I could. Seems that each obit I hear or read makes the same comment about the comparisons between Vonnegut and Mark Twain, but that’s too easy. Simply put Vonnegut was one of the great American writers of the past century and we are not likely to see someone like him for a very long time. So it goes.

No comments: