Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Just a couple of quick notes while I have the time and they are fresh in my mind.

I've discovered that I'm not a Robert Stone fan. The first third of the novel BAY OF SOULS appears to be set up for the second section, which I'm hoping it easier to wade through. I'm trying to overlook the fact that the protagonist is a total whiner who appears almost resentful that his son has survived a near fatal case of overexposure in a storm, but it isn't making it easy to care about anything he does. Also, Stone appears to be one of those writers who write dialogue as if the characters KNOW they are characters. Real folks DO NOT talk like this, even it they are supposed to be college professors. Hey, I'm here in academia and the professors I sit around with seem quite capable of speaking the way everybody else does. On top of that, it's hard not to ignore a comment in one of the interviews with Stone that was sent in the press package, in which he actually calls HIMSELF a 'writers writer!' Pardon my ego!

Oh, and I was surprised to discover a second package from the Joe Bob folks last night when I got home, with yet another book. This one appears to be a 'medical thriller', which may be a bit easier to take. I'll keep you all updated.

Wasn't sure how to take this, so I thought I'd just report that I read an article today which said that the folks who recent purchased THE NASHVILLE NETWORK and decided to change the name and format have discovered both their ratings and ad revenue in steep decline. Appears there were more Country fans out there than the boys in New York had thought. The plan now is to change the name and format again.

The network will soon be known as SPIKE, which will be promoted as a 'man's network'. Apparently, the various sports networks and cable stations directed at hunting & fishing fans are not manly enough for the Madison Avenue folks. I would almost think that this was a joke, but then I'm not a highly paid consultant on this type of thing. :-)

Btw, it was over 80 degrees today and the weather folks are predicting a drop of 30+ degrees overnight. What the hell happened to Spring?

No comments: