Saturday, April 05, 2003

I wish I could think of a clever text way of placing a Campbell Soup can in this site, as Mark Evanier does on his page. There really isn't something of interest to comment on each and every day, but I always feel guilty if I haven't posted for several days in a row.

Even though I had the day off yesterday (Friday, 4/5) I decided NOT to watch the news. In spite of everything going on, and quite rapidly, I find that it just depresses me. The saddest part, aside from the deaths of hundreds of Iraqi civilians, is that George W. will use this in 2004 to ensure he has a second term. Nevermind the national debt that will cripple the economy for years. Forget the fact that, in all probablity, nothing will be done to bring real changes to the health care system. Let's not think about how conservative justices will help the Republicans further erode any Constitutional rights, any but the wealthy may have in this country. We kicked Saddam's ass! Four more years!!!

Taking a break from all that I surfed the channels and found back-to-back episodes of BUFFY. To be honest, when the show first came on the air I was quite the fan, but I don't think I've actually set down and watched an episode for the past couple of years. I was lucky enough to find that they were showing the episode in which Tara (Willow's gal-pal) is killed, followed immediately by the episode in which Willow takes vengence and goes over to the Very Dark SIde. I had forgotten how good the show was, but of course, was confused by a few of the characters who had apparently become part of the cast since my last viewing. Still I can see why the show continues to have a following and why folks are disappointed that it will be ending soon.

I was also happy to catch two episodes each of PERRY MASON (the old B&W program) and MURDER, SHE WROTE. I'm a fan of both shows, no matter how dated both appear.

Speaking of which, it's always fun to see the various 'guest stars' who appear on MSW, sometimes only for a few minutes. In one of the episodes I caught Milton Berle as a showbiz agent. I really think that Berle adlibbed some of his dialogue, especially the lines he tossed off in greetings to unseen 'friends' at a restaurant scene. Like another favorite, COLUMBO, MSW has a style that owes to the talent of their stars.

No comments: