Saturday, March 17, 2012


This might fit more into Shot's Shack, but thought I'd post here since more of you read this.

Went to Wonder Con yesterday, being held in Anaheim this year. Not sure what it is like in its usual San Francisco home, but it was a nice change from SDCC which can be pretty overwhelming. The Anaheim Comic Con, that was held last year, was barely half this size, but with more one-time movie & TV stars and "B" listers. Stan Lee and others are scheduled to appear today (Saturday), but for me the biggest (pardon the expression) celeb I saw was Cassandra Peterson (aka Elvira, for those who didn't have 8x10s of her on their walls). She had a small group around her and as I was getting ready to leave I failed to get a snap-shot or autograph.

A couple of the LA TV stations had crews there during the day, but I only caught a report on the NBC affiliate this morning. As usual, the focus is on the folks who appear in costume, giving the impression that 80% of the folks are running around in ill-fitting costumes. The reporter did about ten seconds standing behind a dealer table saying something to the effect that 'this is what the attendees are really here for' and pulling out some random Marvel X-title. Immediately the video went back to showing a Scarlet Witch and a couple of the folks you see above. (Before you ask, it was explained to me by my co-worker David, that these are villains from Cartoon Network's The Venture Bros. animated series.)

David, along with his brother, Jeff, and I had a pretty good time, not taking in any of the panels, but just walking about the convention picking up some freebies and other things. As I said, unlike SDCC, the place is really set up for folks who want to buy collectibles and artists wanting to sell their books and sketches. The movie stars, 'big name' creators and huge publisher/movie company displayes are not in evidence. Wonder Con still has the feel of the San Diego cons I attended thirty years ago and smaller cons you can still find around the country.

In an odd bit of scheduling the Convention center was also hosting the "SCVA Junior National Qualifier Volleyball Tournament". Not sure who was more curious about the other group. Hundreds of teenage girls in shorts & tee shirts and dozens of older teens and adults dressed up in tights and articial armor taking photos of each other. There seemed to be a lot of staring and good natured posing going on in both groups.

I'd do it again, if Wonder Con returns, but I doubt they will. What I do hope is that the folks behind SDCC & Wonder Con realize that there is room for another convention, perhaps scheduled between the two or later in the year.

1 comment:

Karen from Mentor said...

That's a great photo. Don't know what delighted me more, the pose, the facial expressions, or the fact that her "boots" were socklike. Thanks for the share.
Karen :0)