Thursday, July 14, 2005

I don't want to get myself in trouble, but I have to say that it ticks me off that the Queens Library (and apparently the other library systems in New York) are allowing Scholastic to set ridiculous rules regarding the new HARRY POTTER book.

We actually have to lock the books in the Branch Manager's office upon receipt. The book cannot be linked to the library until just prior to the opening on Saturday (or whatever the first day after 7/16 the library opens). A memo was sent out all but threatening staff should they do anything with the book before the branch actually opens to the public.

The library, like book stores, receive many new books prior to the publication date and we DO NOT release them until then. We have had to lock books away, sealed in plastic, until a set time.

I'm half way tempted to stand out front of the branch at 10:01 am (just after we open) and read the last chapter of the book to anyone interested.

Don't get me wrong! I really enjoy the Harry Potter series and have been looking forward to this latest installment. On the other hand, I think the publisher is being a bit high-handed about all this. We're talking about a children's fantasy book, people!!

No comments: