Thursday, September 30, 2004

Just discovered that I'll have to cover for another librarian this evening. I'll be working until 8:00pm, so I may miss part or all of the debate if I have to take the subway home. To be honest, I can't see anything positive coming out of the debates at this point.

I doubt that anything which occurs during them will change the mind of anyone already leaning towards one candidate or the other. Unless George II begins foaming at the mouth or speaking in tongues, his supporters will say that he was brilliant. I think we can also count on one of the journalists wording their questions to Kerry in such a way to make him look bad, while allowing Bush to get away with not answering or lying. (My guess would be Charles Gibson, but that's my personal prejudice against ABC showing.)

The newspapers will headline tomorrow how well G.W. did, even if he merely is able to string a sentence together without stumbling. I'd lay odds that the New York Post will have a banner along the lines of "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" or "Home Run", showing a smiling (well, sneering actually) Bush.

1 comment:

Elayne said...

Eh, don't worry, as long as you get home in time for The Daily Show they'll catch you up on everything. I printed out my Bingo card but I don't think I'll be watching tonight, I still have half a Harry Potter book to get through...