Monday, December 15, 2003

Like other folks over here on the Left, I suppose I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. First off, I'm surprised that the troops didn't blast Saddam to Kingdom Come (not copyrighted by DC comics), but took him alive. It will be fascinating to see where/how he is finally tried and what the CIA (among others) will be squirming about should SH's testimony become public.

If this allows the coalition forces to pack up and come early, then I'm in favor of it. If it saves the lives of any of the troops then I'm also happy to have it come to such an end. If showing the examination and humiliation of the former leader of Iraq on television increases the danger, than the administration has only itself to blame. No matter what we may think of him, or what he might/or might not have done he was the head of a nation and should be shown some respect for that fact alone. If any American soldier was shown being given a physical exam, and appearing in such a state the American media would be up-in-arms decrying his humiliation before a world wide audience.

Anyway, I really don't think that this will effect the coming elections greatly. Those already predisposed to G.W. will use this as more justification for their belief. Those, like myself, who wouldn't vote for the man if he was the only one on the ballot in all fifty states, believe that there was still no justification for sending troops to begin with and the GOP is bringing this country way too far to the right.

To be honest, I didn't even know about Saddam's capture until hours after it apparently happened. Donna and I were wrapping X-mas gifts and playing with our new cell phones. For my b-day (53rd on Saturday) she got me my own phone and switched hers so we have matching ones. I actually spent more time playing Blackjack on the thing, than inputting phone numbers. :-)

No comments: