Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hard to imagine.

I don't know what it was but for some reason I was jolted by the realization that forty-four years ago I was graduating from U.S. Navy boot camp in Great Lakes, IL.  A few weeks later I was reporting aboard the USS Boxer (LPH-4) in Norfolk, VA.  I posted a video the other day which gave an overview of the Boxer's history and what it was like serving aboard her.

1969 was certainly an interesting year for me, what with the beginning of my first enlistment and later getting one of those 'Dear John' letters guys in the service always seemed to be receiving.  Martha (known to everyone as Mitt) was a wonderful girl and I can understand looking back that we were probably ill-suited.  I believe I was told she was married shortly after the break-up, but I never really had a desire to check up on her. Hope all worked out well for her, wherever she may be.

Not really anything to add, but when the wave of nostalgia hit I just wanted to share.

No comments: