Wednesday, January 29, 2003

A brief introduction is probably in order, for those of you who don't feel obligated to visit here simply because you know me.

My name is Steve Chaput and I'm a librarian at a University in New England. For close to fifteen years, prior to coming back to my home state, I had been a public librarian in Brooklyn, NY. Having been born and spent most of my life in New England I just felt it was time to move back, if only to escape the hussle and rudeness which seems to be growing in The City. I'm also a Navy veteran, having joined the service back in 1969, when the U.S. was still deeply mired in Vietnam. If you want to peg me politically, you can think of me as somewhere to the left of almost any politician who still calls himself 'Liberal'.

If I'm doing this Blog thing correctly I would assume to eventually make an A** of myself. Feel free to drop me an e-mail and let me know if I'm living up to that. :-)

Primarily I'll be ranting about comics, movies, television and even an occasional 'real' book. I'll also be reprinting some of the reviews and commentary that I do for my apa-zine, NOTARY SOJAC. (Just in case you think that sounds familar, it was something often seen in the comicstrip SMOKEY STOVER. As a kid it just seemed like something cool and it always stuck in my head.) I've been active, on & off, in various apa groups for over twenty years now and I just can't break the habit.

By the way, if my name is familiar to anybody it is probably because I used to review comics for the newsletter INSIDE JOKE (published by fellow blogger Elayne Riggs) and for a while FACTSHEET FIVE (in the Mike Gunderloy days). For several years I was active in Friends of Lulu's Metro chapter, so you could have spotted me at numerous conventions around the country. Also, for several years (primarily during the mid-1990s) I was quite active over on some of the Usenet groups, especially the Comics related ones.

That does it for now!

No comments: