Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Since Donna was sick, this past weekend, we decided to cancel our plans to head into Brooklyn and stuck close to home. I went shopping on Saturday and swung by the local Tommy K's (the videostore chain) to pick up some movies.

Donna had enjoyed the first HARRY POTTER film, so we watched the second, which we both really enjoyed. I had to explain a few things (as I'd read the book and there's no 'what has gone before' for newbies), but otherwise I think she pretty much followed the whole thing. As reviewers at the time said, it is darker than the first film, but so was the book and each succeeding novel does move towards a moodier style. The second film continues in doing a great job of bringing the books to life. After seeing the first one, I found that I could easily imagine the actors from the film while reading the fourth book.

As time goes on I think some parents may consider seeing the film before bringing their kids. The fourth book has at least one off-camera murder and the riot after the Quidditch match, will make for some disturbing moments for the youngest in the theatre. (Can't wait to see that and some of the creepier things from the third book, when the next film comes out.)

We also saw CATCH ME, IF YOU CAN which was a lot of fun. In some ways it is kind of old-fashioned, and both DeCaprio and Hanks are really good. It's also easy to see why Walken got the Oscar nomination. Solid acting all around! I'd definetely recommend this for DVD or video viewing, since it really works on the small screen, IMHO.

Hanks is great and it's easy to see from this and ROAD TO PERDITION that he can play a wide diversity of roles. The man continues to amaze me with his range. Neither these of films really portray him in the totally sympathetic light one would expect. It will be interesting to see him in the up-coming Coen Bros. remake of the Peter Seller/Alec Guinnes film, LADY KILLERS. I wonder which role he'll be playing?

On other fronts, it actually appears to have stopped raining for a day or so. I couldn't be happier.

Oh and if I have time tomorrow, I'll let you know how things go tonight. Donna and I plan on actually fulfilling our mutual pledge to join Weight Watchers. Stay tuned!

No comments: