Friday, June 27, 2003

On Wednesday, since I had the day off, I took myself to see THE HULK.

I'm not going to say it was either the 'best' or 'worst' "superhero movie ever", but I personally enjoyed it. I can see that those folks who filled the theatre repeatedly for SPIDER-MAN aren't going to love this film as much, but it certainly doesn' t insult the character or his audience.

The film is rather dark, but then if you recall the original stories by Stan & Jack (unlike some reviewers) , you'll see that Ang Lee does stay close to their concept. Lee (not Stan) has also put in the more recent idea that Bruce was abused by his father, although he doesn't actually recall the incident until later.

I thought they did a good job with the CGI effects on the Hulk, and felt he was both 'human' enough, yet demonstrated an inhuman power and rage. The transformation scenes were really well done.

Of course the ending does leave things open for future installments and with a good story I think I'd be more than happy to pay to see the big green guy again.

No comments: